Silly Pictures is an online (Super Star Online) interactive course designed to introduce reading and build vocabulary.
They say that a picture is worth a thousand words and we believe that "they" (whoever "they" are) might be right.
The purpose of Silly Pictures is to help beginning readers learn and recognize new words through the use of pictures
and sounds. We call them Silly Pictures because the words are often combined to make silly pictures.
This mini course is an expanded version of activities found in our Beginning Reading with Phonics course. These skills are so important that we decided that we needed to give students more practice with these skills.
Program FeaturesThere are three sections:
Picture Builder: This very simple and powerful activity allows students to create pictures by selecting pictures that represent words. Their choice is then combined to create a new picture and a sentence about the picture with the words read to them.
Learn the Words: Our "Learn the Words" section allows students to increase their vocabulary by showing a picture of the word, the word with the sound of the word and the sounds (phonemes) that make up the word. Their understanding of the words is verified by a one-minute time test called a Speed Round.
Picture Stories: Now that students are familiar with the words, they are now challenged to complete the first letter of the words used in a picture sentence.
- Designed for Pre-K and K students with option to select grade level
- The Super Star Motivational and Data Tracking system, which encourages students to earn silver and gold stars by completing each activity and story
- User does not need to know how to read to use the program
- Appropriate for ESL and Special Needs Education
- Encorages kids to get excited about learning to read
- Vocabulary: new words using pictures
- Vocabulary: new words using word names
- Vocabulary: new words using phonemes
- Reading words and simple
- Beginning spelling by completing the first letter of a word
- Read common high-frequency words by sight
- Phonics and word analysis skills in decoding words
- And much, much more
More Resources (download .pdf)
Click on a picture to view full-size.
Super Star Online: System Requirements
- Devices: Windows, Mac, Chromebook, Android, iPad/iPhone
- A broadband connection is highly recommended
Ordering: Super Star Online for Schools
- More Ordering Options
- Price: $5 per user, per year (25 users minimum).
- When ordering online, after you click on Add to Cart, update the quantity to include all the users in the subscription (25 minimum).
- All of our courses are included in any subscription
- Includes one hour of free online training for teachers and/or site administrator.
- Call or text 760-419-7216 for a written quote