1. Benefit: While it is true that learning can't always be fun and games, but it is also true that whenever possible, learning that is fun and games will help capture student's attention, keep them interested longer, help them retain the information and help them have a better experience with their teacher and school. We believe that engaging students and challenging students to learn should be a priority for instruction. That is why "Kids will Love Learning with Super Star". Our objective is to balance fun with meaningful educational instruction.
While our courses are not strictly game-based learning, our games are the feature that kids like the most. We use a wide variety of games and game types to keep kids engaged and challenged. Some games are simple and some games are near arcade quality. We use our games to apply the learning from our teaching sections and to stimulate thinking and problem solving. The quality of our games is at the top of our many features that sets us ahead of our competition.
2. Benefit: Over the years, there has been a debate among educators (and parents) about the best approach to teach reading. The phonics approach dates to at least the work of Favell Lee Mortimer in 1834. Over the years the "whole language approach" has been adopted by many educators who have criticized the "phonics approach".
Using modern technology, we are able to offer a blended phonics approach to learning the English language. In our unique "Learn the Words" activities, we are able to show a picture depicting the word. We are able to show the whole word and the sound of the word that students can hear as many times as they like. And we are able to show the sounds (phonemes) in (Elkonin) boxes with the sounds that make up the words. Students can move their cursor or finger through the boxes to blend the sounds to make the word sound.
3. Benefit: While fun and engaging learning is great, our "Super Star Motivational and Data Tracking System" helps make completing all of the activities, presentations, songs and games a game within a game while giving students, teachers and administrators valuable data about the studentís progress.
While fun and engaging learning is great, our "Super Star Motivational and Data Tracking System" helps make completing all of the activities, presentations, songs and games a game within a game while giving students, teachers and administrators valuable data about the studentís progress.
As the student answers each question, the correct and incorrect answers are displayed, giving the student immediate feedback, which is critical in helping the student understand the material and motivating the student to complete the activity or game. Once the student completes the activity or game, the purple star will turn silver if there were some mistakes or the star will turn gold if there were no mistakes. The student can then go on to the next activity or they can click on the star to go to the "Super Star Page" to see how many stars they have earned. Teachers have the option of controlling how many mistakes a student can make and still earn a gold star. Students who make too many mistakes can repeat the activity until they do earn a gold star. Some stars are easy to earn (such as listening to a song or presentation) and some stars are more challenging. We find that most students get excited when they earn a gold star and love our simple system.
Additional reports can be accessed by teachers and administrators to track student progress, pre and posttest results and usage reports.
4. Benefit: We designed Super Star Online to be easy to use and to make learning easier. Most of our courses are designed much like a book with a table of contents and a back and next button on every screen/page. Students can use our navigation bar to click on the next button to go on to the next activity or they can use the Super Star page to navigate on an activity. We are always thinking simple, user friendly and fun.
Our activities break learning down into easy to learn lessons. We feature most lessons with a song that teaches a concept, our "Learn the Words" vocabulary building activity with a speed round, and an activity or game. Sometimes we use our Super Star Kids to give the students additional lesson instruction. We also offer our Users' Guide and Lesson Plans to help teachers understand the contents of each lesson and the objectives and words that are covered in the lesson
5. Benefit: Research shows that students respond to different approaches to learning in different ways. Our courses are rich in multimedia content so that they can appeal to students over a wide variety of learning styles. Our courses are rich in the use of: pictures, words, sounds, speech, songs, games, animations and interactivity that are all combined to make an engaging learning experience for almost any student. Our courses can be especially appealing to students who don't have access to instruction that best fits their style of learning.
6. Benefit: Our courses are designed for students, but we have added many features specifically to help teachers use the courses in the classroom or computer lab and to offer parents the opportunity to use the courses at home with their child.
Our teacher features include: a Users' Guide and Lesson Plans, Class Summary Report, Detailed Student Report, Pre- and Posttest Summary Report, Pre- and Posttest Detail Report, Class and Student Management and Course Usage Report. Many teachers donít have the time to use all of our features, but for those who want more control and a more personalized learning experience for their students, the optional features are there and easy to use.
Teachers also have the option of using our courses for differentiate instruction by creating sub-class to their class and assigning students and courses to the sub-classes, thereby creating a personalized learning experience for students with different abilities and different needs.
Since Super Star Online is web based, it can be used almost anywhere that there is an internet connection. Students can use the same link that they use at school to access the course from home. We encourage parents to use the courses at home with their child and offer a Parent button that allows the parents to view the course in a practice mode. Parents can become familiar with the lesson and practice the words and games with their child. Once the parent believes that the child is ready, the parent can exit the parent mode and let the child earn their stars.
7. Benefit: While we strive to make learning fund and engaging, the content of the lessons is also important as must relate to the lessons teachers are teaching and the state standards. The courses included in Super Star Online are either correlated to state standards or based specifically on those standards. Our research reports show the research behind our courses and our effectiveness studies show "real world" results and the effectiveness of our courses. Many of the standards are available in our User's Guide and Lesson Plans. Our standards correlations are also available on online at Standards Correlations and our research reports are available at: Research Reports.
8. Benefit: Kids can related to our multi-cultural kids characters, which are used in many of the activities and presentations. Our main stars are our "Super Star Kids", which are a group of eight elementary age characters used in our elementary courses. For older kids, we feature our young adult characters that appeal to older students along with our adult coaches. We find this approach make our courses appealing to students of many different ages and ethnic backgrounds.
9. Benefit: The courses of Super Star Online are very versatile and can fit almost any learning environment that with a computer (some courses can be accessed on a tablet) that is connected to the Internet.
10. Benefit: Besides our Super Star Online standard version, we also offer Super Star Online Ė Pro. The purpose of Super Star Online - Pro is to improve student performance and results by providing advanced professional development support to principals, site administrators, computer lab teachers, classroom teachers and parents.
The additional professional development features include:
Download our product flyers (.pdf) for more information about each course.
Our Student, School, Lab, Site, Network and Online editions all include a Users' Guide and Lesson Plans. The School, Lab, Site and Network editions come with a printed Users' Guide and Lesson Plans in a three-ring binder with about 100 pages (varies by product) featuring general instructions for using the program, specific step-by-step lessons that correspond to the program, word lists, and blackline masters. Below are a samples of our Users' Guide and Lesson Plans: